Decision to Continue Training under Enhanced Guidelines
Dear Moose Jaw Minor Hockey Members,
The MJMHA Board of Directors held a virtual board meeting tonight to discuss our options moving forward under the new restrictions, as set up by the Government of Saskatchewan until December 17, 2020
All team/group sports, activities, games, practices, etc. are suspended, including amateur and recreational leagues for all age groups. Athletes18 years of age and under may continue practicing, conditioning, and skills training in groups of eight or fewer, abiding by the required mask use and at least three metres of physical distancing between participants at all times. Individual groups of eight may not share a training/rehearsal surface or space at the same time. Coaches /trainers are not included in the training group numbers as long as they are masked and maintain a minimum physical distance of three metres.
The MJMHA Board of Directors voted to NOT cancel hockey for the remainder of 2020 and instead has already begun the process to launch a new, revamped schedule that will begin Friday, November 27 through to December 17, 2020, with the following restrictions:
- Teams will be provided 1 to 2 hours of full ice per week.
- Teams can have only 8 players on the ice at a time, coaches are not included in that number.
- It will be up to the Head Coach to equally assign kids to each date and time.
- Coaches can split their allocated time in half for 2 groups of 8 players so they can all get on the ice on the same day (ie: 8 players on for the first 30 minutes, and then the next 8 on for the next 30 minutes)
- Coaches can have 8 players on for the entire time slot, and alternate which group of 8 is on for each ice time (8 for the first ice time, new group of 8 for the next ice time)
- MJMHA will not be assigning any ice from December 24 until January 1. We plan for Ice sessions to continue January 2, 2021, in conjunction with the public health orders by the Government of Saskatchewan
- Coaches and players (all divisions) will have to wear a face-covering under their helmet while on the ice.
- Coaches and players will need to physically distant 3 metres on and off the ice.
- No player benches to be used
- Players must come dressed with their water bottle filled
- No hockey bags permitted in the dressing rooms (exception for goalies)
- Dressing rooms will be provided to have skates tied if needed.
- Teams are asked to exit the ice surface and rink immediately after their ice time
- U7/U9/U11 are allowed 1 parent to enter the dressing room to tie skates and asked to leave the arena immediately. We ask that skates be on and tied prior to entering the arena with skate guards.
- No parents are allowed to watch the ice times due to the arena limit.
- COVID Safety Captains or designated Safety Captains are to attend and take attendance for COVID tracing.
- U7 rosters will be rearranged to make sure we have groups of 8 for every ice time. The division director will create groups of 8 with the help of the coaches.
There will be ZERO tolerance for teams not following these restrictions. Teams found in violation of any of these restrictions will be put on pause until further notice.
We all want hockey to continue so every team will need to sacrifice a little to make sure everyone in our association can continue on the ice.
We know this is different from the norm but the MJMHA Board of Directors believes this is the best option to move forward. Kids love to play hockey and love to be a part of a team, and we all play a part in making each experience at the rink the best possible.
Thank you for being patient and for all your hard work and dedication to making our association safe.
VERSION 2 UPDATED NOV 27